Subsetting WRF output

Ideas, problems or suggestions regarding the WRF software.

Subsetting WRF output

Postby hawbecke » Tue May 26, 2020 1:20 pm

Hi, I was wondering if there was currently a way to output subsets of WRF variables on either: slices within the domain (e.g. u-component wind at a single vertical level, or at one j-location for all x,z), or a volume subset (e.g. from i = 10 to 20, j = 10 to 20, z = 0 to 10)? For large domains when outputting the full volume takes a lot of time, processing the output after it is created becomes difficult since there is a lot of time "wasted" by writing out regions that are not of interest in the analysis.

If this isn't currently a capability, are there any recommendations for how to go about implementing either of these approaches? I was thinking of copying the process for U10, V10, etc but to set to a specified level, but then that allows for only 1 additional level of output. For the volume output, I was thinking it would need to mimic the auxhist approach but with different dimensions specified and may be a large undertaking.

Thanks a lot!
hawbecke

Re: Subsetting WRF output

Postby hawbecke » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:35 pm

We have since implemented a slice capability for U, V, W, TH, and P at a namelist-specified level but would still like to know if there was a way for a more general output or sub-sampling the domain.
Thanks,
Pat
hawbecke

Return to Software Engineering