Weird temperatures along coast

Any issues with the actual running of the WRF.

Weird temperatures along coast

Postby Tornerdo » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:37 pm

Greetings,
I am using WRF 4.0 to downscale RCP8.5 from /glade/collections/rda/data/ds316.1/RCP8.5 (on Cheyenne). The files in this directory are the intermediate files to be used instead of running ungrib.exe in the WPS
process. I am downscaling across the western US.

I see very blocky patterns in the spatial pattern of 2-m e temperature off the US coast (see attached screen capture) that coincide with blocky SST patterns from CESM/met_em files. I believe this blocky pattern is
showing up because the GCM doesn't contain SST information in some gridcells; the downscaled high-resolution WRF experiment therefore has no SST data in certain coastal zones. I am downscaling from 1 degree to 45 km, so I don't believe scaling ratios should be an issue. Any tips on how to solve this problem?

Thanks,
-Stefan
UCLA
Tornerdo

Re: Weird temperatures along coast

Postby Tornerdo » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:12 pm

Problem fixed.

I had to copy SKINTEMP to SST in the met_em files and rerun real.exe. Obviously, this method will superimpose land temperatures on SSTs in certain grid cells, but to my knowledge this is an unavoidable side effect of downscaling coarse-resolution GCMs to high-resolution.

Comments on my solution are welcome.

Thanks,
-Stefan
Tornerdo

Return to Runtime Problems