initialization without soil data or skin temperature

Any WPS problems/questions that might not fall into the other topics in this category

initialization without soil data or skin temperature

Postby mjs » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:22 pm

I wonder what you recommend for initialization when I do not have soil column data (temp., moist.) or skin temperature. I just have atmospheric forcing data, and it's for purturbed atmosphere, not for anything that compatible reanalyses might be available for, for example.

Can I "nudge" forecasts with surface observations without surface temperature prediction? Do I not need any other surface/subsurface temp/moist data for this?

Do you have experience providing WRF with bogus surface/subsurface data (and letting the model spin up these values)? My simulations will be climatological in duration (so throwing away spin up period data and using post spin up data only seems an option).

Any recommendations for use of particular surface and surface layer schemes for this scenario? (Temperature diffusion only, for example?)

Can you point me to documentation indicating exactly what input is required for what options (for "no temperature prediction", "diffusion only", etc) and that might answer other questions here?

Also, any pitfalls for using version 3 versus previus versions of WRF and/or WPS I should be aware of?

Sorry for the many questions here. Please answer what you can, if you can.

Thanks so much in advance.
mjs

Re: initialization without soil data or skin temperature

Postby n9405169 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:13 pm

Hello,

Did you get any further forward with this? I am in a similar situation and would like to know how to proceed.

Thanks in advance,

Louise
n9405169

Return to Miscellaneous