So how come there is no gfortran port for WPS?

Any WPS problems/questions that might not fall into the other topics in this category

So how come there is no gfortran port for WPS?

Postby ziad » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:01 pm

The question sort of begs itself. WPS has a g95 port but no gfortran port, and vice versa for WRF.

gfortran is the official gcc fortran compiler and I believe it was used to compile official linux distributions of netcdf that are available through repositories (not 100% sure but that seems to be the case with suse). Compiling WRF with gfortran and the official repository netcdf works right off the bat if you add -lnetcdff to your configuration script. You'll get some undefined references but the executables are all produced and work perfectly well. AND you don't have to compile netcdf from scratch.

So why no gfortran port for WPS? There is not a single thread on gfortran in the WPS forums so I figured I would bring it up.
ziad

Re: So how come there is no gfortran port for WPS?

Postby thomas2 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:39 am

Hi,

in arch/configure.defaults is is necessary to add "x86_64" to the line
#ARCH PC Linux i486 i586 i686, gfortran compiler, serial

Then it should work for 64bit.

Thomas
thomas2

Re: So how come there is no gfortran port for WPS?

Postby ziad » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:51 pm

Yes it does, thanks Thomas!

I had to add -lnetcdff to the linking options in configure.wps since the netcdf libraries for OpenSuse 11.2 have the extra f at the end (same issue with WRF).

The only executable that did not compile was plotfmt.exe. Something to do with NCAR Graphics not being compiled with gfortran but I can live with it since I use IDV for all my WRF pre/post-processing anyway.

I'll post the whole compile procedure on OpenSuse 11.2 in a separate thread soon.

Cheers,
Ziad
ziad

Return to Miscellaneous