WRFV2.2 nest input

Discuss the nesting capability within the model itself and any problems you might have run into.

WRFV2.2 nest input

Postby carthur » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:07 am

Hi all WRF users,

I've set up a domain with 2 nests (parent domain 25 km, nest01 5 km, nest02 1 km) and can successfully run the simulation using 2-way nesting. I'm trying to get the model to read the static fields for the nests from the wrfinput_d02 and wrfinput_d03 files, rather than interpolating from the coarse domain.
I'm using the input_from_file flag in the namelist, as described in the documentation for WRFV2.2 (http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/wrfv2/runwrf.html#nestcase). Below is the appropriate section of the namelist:
Code: Select all
interval_seconds          = 21600
input_from_file           = .true.,.true.,.true.,
fine_input_stream         = 0,   2,    2,
history_interval          = 180,    180,    60,

Running real.exe generates wrfinput_d01, wrfinput_d02 and wrfinput_d03 as expected, and all the static fields (lu_index, landmask, etc) are at the correct resolution of the domain (i.e. d02 is at 5 km, d03 at 1 km).

However, when I run wrf.exe, there are some fields in the output for the nests which are not at the correct resolution - specifically the LU_INDEX, ALBEDO, SFROFF, UDROFF variables, which have been interpolated from the parent domain and so remain at 25 km resolution, significantly impacting the results.

Should I be setting fine_input_stream to zero for the nest domains as well?

Or is there another issue that needs to be resolved?

Thanks in advance,
Craig
carthur

Re: WRFV2.2 nest input

Postby GMiles » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:05 pm

I would think you would want fine_stream_input to be 0 for the nests.
GMiles

Re: WRFV2.2 nest input

Postby carthur » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:34 pm

Correct. Setting fine_input_stream to 0 for all domains and re-running real.exe solved the problem.
carthur

Return to Nesting