What is nesting? (subject edited by moderator)

Discuss the nesting capability within the model itself and any problems you might have run into.

What is nesting? (subject edited by moderator)

Postby shong » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:02 pm

Could anyone explain why the nesting in the WRF model is important, and what's the difference in between one-way and two-way nesting?
Thanks.
shong

Re: What is nesting? (subject edited by moderator)

Postby malonso » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:11 pm

In simplest form, nesting allows you to increase the resolution of your model run in one or more areas of your domain (you can also create nests in nests). If you did not use nesting and needed 1km resolution, you would need to run the entire domain at 1km which can take a significant amount of time. However, if you were only concerned with seeing the finer detail in one particular area, you could specify that a nest be used in that location.

One way nesting is where the "results" of the inner nest have no impact on the parent domain; where as two way nesting can have an impact on the calculations in the parent domain. Imagine a mesoscale feature which the parent domain does not pick up on but the finer domain does. This feature would be invisible to the outer domain in a one way nesting scenario but not in two way. Make sense?

This is a very simple way of describing it and if I goofed something up in there I am sure someone will jump in and correct me.
malonso
Site Admin

Return to Nesting