Hail output

Topics related to current and future physics in the WRF as well as any problems you may have.

Hail output

Postby carinavb » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:28 pm

Hello everybody: I need to get hail variable but I can't.
Anybody can tell me how I can achieve this?
My namelist is as follows,

&physics
mp_physics = 9, 9,
ra_lw_physics = 1, 1,
ra_sw_physics = 1, 1,
gsfcgce_hail = 1
radt = 30, 30,
sf_sfclay_physics = 1, 1,
sf_surface_physics = 2, 2,
bl_pbl_physics = 1, 1,
bldt = 0, 0,
cu_physics = 1, 1,
cudt = 5, 5,
isfflx = 1,
ifsnow = 0,
icloud = 1,
surface_input_source = 1,
num_soil_layers = 4,
sf_urban_physics = 0, 0,
maxiens = 1,
maxens = 3,
maxens2 = 3,
maxens3 = 16,
ensdim = 144,

Hope someone can help.
Regards
carinavb

Re: Hail output

Postby ademeij » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:25 am

Hi,
In the Registry file Registry.EM_COMMON you will have to activate "hail_opt" to 1 and recompile em_real. This will give you HAILNC output (hail_opt=1 in namelist.input). Different selection of mp_physics, PBL, CU, sw/lw radiation impact the graupel and hail calculations I notice. What's your opinion about this, do you experience the same?
Best regards,
Alexander
ademeij

Re: Hail output

Postby Pau Escriba » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:40 am

Hello Carina and Alexander... and others,

We at Spanish Met Agency (AEMET) are running several LAM models to construct a Short Range EPS. One of those is WRF-ARW. Now we are dealing with a product for our forecasters called "Total Solid Precipitation". This product, in our reference model (HARMONIE-AROME), is SNOW+GRAUPEL+HAIL. So we want WRF output to be the closest to this product. In particular, we have SNOW but we still have 2 questions not solved:

1/ We have GRAUPEL in each model surface (hybrid). Do or anyone know how to get GRAUPEL as a single field on the surface? I thought this was possible with UPP but I don't see this parameter as an option in wrf_param.ctl. Of course we could write some code but before we wanted to know if someone knows how to do it easily in WRF.

2/ With respect to HAIL, we have followed your discussions and it looks like GRAUPEL is containing HAIL? Or it is very close to contain it? I read some answer here at the forum that pointed to this option and Alexander's numbers on the areas he has experimented seem to point also this? What do you think?

Many thanks. Any answer is very wellcome.

Pau Escribà
Spanish Met Agency - AEMET
Pau Escriba

Return to Physics