Strange Output Patterns

Topics related to current and future physics in the WRF as well as any problems you may have.

Strange Output Patterns

Postby lbirch » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:48 pm

Hello,
I seem to be seeing strange values on the surface of the model when using the Noah MP option. In particular this can be seen in the total absorbed solar radiation and the snow cover fraction at all time steps. I've also attached my initialized snow height, so you can see that there might be some resolution issues. However, would the resolution alone cause the drastic variation in my plots for the snow cover and radiation?

snow.jpeg
snow.jpeg (101.8 KiB) Viewed 2627 times

fsa.jpeg
fsa.jpeg (122.5 KiB) Viewed 2627 times
fsno.jpeg
fsno.jpeg (112.59 KiB) Viewed 2627 times

Has anyone encountered this type of pattern before?

Thanks!
lbirch

Re: Strange Output Patterns

Postby mabelsfatalfable » Fri May 25, 2018 7:03 am

I did encounter with problem like this some time ago, when I visualized the radiation outputs generated from the NOAH LSM, there have been gaps and strange anomalies like represented in the graphs.

Key inputs (primary inputs) to the Noah Land-surface model are;
• Land-use (vegetation) type
• Soil texture
• Slope (slope index)

During the running WPS scripts (geogrid.exe & metgrid.exe), the parameter called islope from the /geog folder is taken into account to calculate domains slope index then initialize the other variables. I recommend downloading the last islope data from the link below, maybe you can update the required geography data.
http://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/src/wps_files/
mabelsfatalfable

Return to Physics