RAINC + RAINNC?

Topics related to current and future physics in the WRF as well as any problems you may have.

RAINC + RAINNC?

Postby alejouribe » Wed May 25, 2011 9:52 pm

my question is related to RAINC and RAINNC variables.

The question is: Does it make sense to plot RAINC + RAINNC?.

I am asking you because it looks like we are adding the precipitation twice, because RAINC is the rain calculation by cumulus scheme and RAINNC is the rain calculation by micrphysics scheme, so both of them are rain calculation but they are done by diferents methods.

Regards.
alejouribe

Re: RAINC + RAINNC?

Postby jimmyc » Fri May 27, 2011 10:45 pm

It makes sense if you want to you examine total precipitation, assuming you are using both a microphysics scheme and a cumulus scheme. Without a cumulus scheme you don't need to examine rainc because it is zero.
The views expressed in this message do not necessarily reflect those of NOAA or the National Weather Service or the University of Oklahoma.
James Correia, Jr
jimmyc

Postby alejouribe » Mon May 30, 2011 3:48 pm

Thanks a lot by your answer. I would like to reformulate it.

It's true RAINC+RAINNC will show total precipitation calculated. The question is:

Can i calculate all the precipitation (Convective and not-convective) using any scheme? or i will need to use both schemes for it?
alejouribe

Postby jimmyc » Mon May 30, 2011 3:56 pm

RAINC is from the cumulus scheme. If you don't use a cumulus scheme RAINC will be zero.

RAINNC is from the microphysics scheme. So, if you only use a microphysics scheme, total precip will be from RAINNC.
The views expressed in this message do not necessarily reflect those of NOAA or the National Weather Service or the University of Oklahoma.
James Correia, Jr
jimmyc

Postby Basit » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:47 am

Hello everyone,

RAINC is from the cumulus scheme and RAINNC is from microphysics scheme. I am running a high resolution simulation (<500m) with cumulus scheme turned off since i want to resolve convective precip resolved explicitly. I wonder if the model can resolve convective precipitation explicitly without using a cumulus parametrization?

Best regards,
BK.
Basit

Return to Physics