model level ERA-Interim data go wrong after running real.exe

Any issues with the actual running of the WRF.

model level ERA-Interim data go wrong after running real.exe

Postby hnniujin » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:36 am

I am trying to run WRF with model level ERA-Interim data, but find that the specific humidity goes wrong after processed by real.exe.

Recently I try to run WRF using model level ERA-Interim data. Everything goes fine until I run the wrf.exe, which is aborted very quickly. I check the rsl.error.0000 file and found the message "Flerchinger USEd in NEW version. Iterations= 10" occured again and again. I changed the domain, resolution, time step etc, but the problem still happened.

Then I change to use the pressure level ERA-Interim data. This time everything goes fine. I guess there is something wrong with the pre-prossessing of the model level ERA-Interim data. I find that everything is OK before running real.exe, but after running real.exe, the specific humidity (in the wrfinput file) goes wrong. The specific humidity in the first (lowest) level seems fine, but it becomes higher as level goes up, which is obvious wrong.

I think there may be something incorrect in the process of the model level ERA-Interim data in real.exe. Also I found the there is no HGT (geopotential height) in the met_em*nc file that derived from the model level ERA-Interim. Is it the reason?

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
Thanks for your attention.
hnniujin

Re: model level ERA-Interim data go wrong after running real

Postby nberg » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:28 pm

Check out this webpage describing how to force WRF with ERA-interim data. I followed it and was able to create a successful run. http://www.geomar.de/mitarbeiter/fb1/me ... /wrf/erai/
nberg

Postby hnniujin » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:13 am

nberg wrote:Check out this webpage describing how to force WRF with ERA-interim data. I followed it and was able to create a successful run. http://www.geomar.de/mitarbeiter/fb1/me ... /wrf/erai/

It's using pressure level but not model level data of ERA-Interim. I've also made a successful run using pressure level data of ERA-Interim.
Thank you anyway.
hnniujin

Postby hnniujin » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:02 am

By the way, I've use 3.41, 3.5 and 3.51 versions of WRF, the results are similar.
hnniujin

Postby siouxbird » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:22 am

Hi,

Did you resolve your issues? I'm using the ERA-Interim product processed and archived by CISL/NCAR, and I think I have a very similar issue. When running WPS, I made visible the model level, UV, and surface fields. WPS completes successfully. real.exe also runs successfully, but cfl errrors stop WRF quickly. I plotted winds within the met_em*.nc files and they look correct. Winds within the wrfinput_* files are clearly wrong up high, but look reasonable near the surface. After running real.exe, fields get messed up in the vertical.

Any help greatly appreciated!!!

Chris
siouxbird

Postby alexus » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:15 am

hey!
have you solve the problem.
U field in wrfinput file looks strange as well.

I use Era Interim Model levels.
alexus

Postby alexus » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:19 am

alexus wrote:hey!
have you solve the problem.
U field in wrfinput file looks strange as well.

I use Era Interim Model levels.

I could not load the pic
here is the link

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tWDew ... HnreTgZ2n1

setup has 53 levels. up to 42 km. this figure shows the U at top level
alexus

Return to Runtime Problems