UCM MODIS landuse

Any issues with the actual running of the WRF.

UCM MODIS landuse

Postby samuelfung50 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:10 am

Hello all,

I am using MODIS data for simulation and running with UCM, I have tried to alters the AH in URBPARM.TBL and compare the difference. I found that there were no difference in rainfall and even 2m Temperature.

I suspect that the UCM cannot find the urban area. Is it a must to change the MODIS 21 categories data to 33 categories? If yes how can I do so?
I have look up some of the forum posts but there is not given a solution, like:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3066
and
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9817&p=26265&hilit=UCM#p26265
(the link provided in the solution is dead)

Thank you so much for all of your time and energy!!

Best,
Samuel
samuelfung50

Re: UCM MODIS landuse

Postby samuelfung50 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:29 pm

I executed geogrid.exe by using the MODIS data to generate "geo_em.d01.nc" first

Then I have modified "geo_em.d01.nc".

I have changed the land use (LU_INDEX) from 13 to 31, to assign all of the urban land use to be low-residential,
and I have also change the land use fraction (LANDUSEF) by moving the fraction in column 13 to column 31.

Finally, I have also modify the global attribute of (NUM_LAND_CAT) from 24 to 33.

However, when I execute metgrid.exe, it gives out an error:
"ERROR: Couldn't open file ./geo_em.d01.nc for input."

I have already tried for a week and got stuck by the land use data. Hope there is anyone can solve the problem, thank you very much!!

Best,
Samuel
samuelfung50

Re: UCM MODIS landuse

Postby wrf_alvin » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:30 am

Normally, it should work by simply changing the num_land_cat (number of land use category for MODIS) in the namelist.input as stated here:
http://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/docs ... tween_USGS

The modules automatically adjusts the LU_INDEX corresponding to MODIS based on the num_land_cat parameter. I guess this will also depend on the WRF version you are using.
wrf_alvin

Return to Runtime Problems