Comparison of WRF to MM5

Any WPS problems/questions that might not fall into the other topics in this category

Comparison of WRF to MM5

Postby LVardiman » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:59 pm

I am a returning MM5 user who has been gone for over 5 years. My application was in regional simulations of hypercanes in the Gulf of Mexico. Now I wish to simulate ice sheet and glacier accumulations in Yosemite National Park. I need to decide whether to continue using MM5 or switch to WRF. Could someone briefly tell me the benefits of WRF over MM5 for use in simulating regional scale climates? LVardiman
LVardiman

Re: Comparison of WRF to MM5

Postby jimmyc » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:42 pm

To be brief:
WRF numerics and dynamical core are better. WRF is designed for 1-10 km grid spacing but is now in use actively at all ranges of grid spacing. development in regional climate modeling is in progress. Most users for regional climate I think still favor MM5 since it is well tested and understood, WRF is still relatively new by comparison. While the physical schemes are somewhat similar there are more options in WRF. Model development is still occurring in WRF so you are much more likely to find support through the forums or wrfhelp. MM5 support is gone, though there may still be some user support.

The latest version of WRF can probably handle your problem. the only way to know for sure is to test both and see which one you favor.
The views expressed in this message do not necessarily reflect those of NOAA or the National Weather Service or the University of Oklahoma.
James Correia, Jr
jimmyc

Return to Miscellaneous