Namelist variable does not appear in WRF output

All things involving the setup (compiling, NetCDF, etc.) of the WRF Model itself.

Namelist variable does not appear in WRF output

Postby dakiesi » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:51 pm

Hello folks,

I actually did not want to just create another topic about I/O-handly of namelist variables in WRF, but I'm just stuck here.

My problem is that I need a namelist variable to appear in the WRF output files. I'm using WRF V3.8.1 in the idealized LES mode witht he 3D-TKE scheme which is controlled by the namelist variable tke_drag_coefficient (amongst others).
And this is the variable I need to appear in the output. By default, it is declared in the registry like this:

Code: Select all
rconfig       real    tke_drag_coefficient    namelist,dynamics max_domains    0.            h    "tke_drag_coefficient"       ""      "dimensionless"

First, I tried to look at the declaration of other variables that DO appear in the output such as "tke_adv_opt":

Code: Select all
rconfig   integer  tke_adv_opt            namelist,dynamics max_domains    1       rh    "tke_adv_opt"           "positive-definite RK3 transport switch"      ""

So i thought i just have to change the "h" to "rh", but this does not work.

I found a presentation of John Michalakes (NRL) and Dave Gill (NCAR) on "How to Use the WRF Registry" (just google it,first hit), but i do not quite get the way of makeing a namelist variable appear in the output since in the presentation only adding new namelist variables to the registry is discussed but not the I/O handling.

Maybe somebody can help me with my issue.
So to make it clear: My question is how to make the already existing namelist variable tke_drag_coefficient appear in the output files? (so i can see it in e.g. ncdump -h wrfout_d01_*)

Thank you in advance for any help, it is really appreciated

--
philipp
dakiesi

Return to Installation