question on ocean modeling

Things that do not fit in any of the other topics.

Important Note:
If a moderator feels that this topic belongs in one of the topics above, it will be moved but a note will be put in this forum pointing to its new location.

question on ocean modeling

Postby kieler » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:46 pm

Hello, may I ask a question on ocean models on this weather modeling forum? I am a second year physics/meteorology student and I would like to study the influence of ocean state on hurricanes in the gulf of mexico. My motivation is just interest for the main factors, not the need for scientific sound results.

Are there any ocean models that are a good choice for coupling with the ARW model? Has WRF been developed with some specific ocean model in mind?

I find wrf-model.org excellent for students like me to get hands-on experience in weather modeling. Can you recommend a similar site on ocean modeling with links to global data to use as initial and boundary values for a regional ocean model?

Thank you everybody!
kieler

Re: question on ocean modeling

Postby johnstoneiain » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:16 pm

The only stuff I've seen on ocean models is at gfdl.noaa.gov/ocean-model though this isn't a subject I'm too familiar with. Hope this help or at least points you towards more useful information.
johnstoneiain

Postby enzian » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:08 pm

Yes NOAA does have modeling data. I'm remembering they have 2 or 3 different ocean modeling techniques employed.
enzian

Postby kieler » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:51 am

Thank you! gfdl.noaa.gov/ocean-model seems a good start. More suggestions are appreciated.
kieler

Postby austinpil » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:57 am

Can you use Realflow for your project.
austinpil

Return to Miscellaneous