Volcanic Ash Module

Ideas, problems or suggestions regarding the initialization of WRF Chemistry

Volcanic Ash Module

Postby joesko » Sun May 06, 2012 9:07 pm

Hello,

I am hoping to use the "volcanic ash-fall and concentration only" (chem_opt=400) with WRF/Chem v3.4 to simulate an emission of a spherical particulate cloud. I can see where I can modify bin size and particle density in module_vash_settling.f, but I guess I'm not clear on how this module is used and I'm having serious trouble finding documentation on how I would go about using it (before I even start trying to modify it). How is the "volcanic emission" initialized in terms of location, mass, duration, etc.?

I'm fairly comfortable with WRF at this point, but WRF/Chem is still mostly foreign to me despite a good bit of reading. I'm basically trying to insert a particulate cloud into an other wise WRF-non-chem simulation in order to predict wet deposition / scavenging (<-- does this modules predict this?) and dry deposition / settling of that particulate. I want to define a particulate source and use WRF as a transport and dispersion (T&D) model with in-line aerosol-cloud-climate feedbacks.

Because of (research) time considerations, I need to bypass learning how to use all the amazing chem reaction and biogenic emission features of WRF/Chem for now and figure out how to plug in my dull "dirt" particulate cloud into a WRF run.

I'm also going to use NCAR graphics to plot that deposition, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Any help/thoughts/direction greatly appreciated!
joesko

Re: Volcanic Ash Module

Postby dingwell » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:35 am

This post is quite old but the question is relevant for me as well, did you find an answer joesko? Perhaps someone else has something to fill in?
dingwell

Return to Initialization