Convert_emiss

Posts related to the installation of WRF Chemistry

Convert_emiss

Postby phayes » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:52 pm

I would be truly grateful if someone could respond on how to go from the emiss_v03.F program to the final data format needed to run the WRF Chem. I have a triple nested grid and have already created three sets of files for each domain using the emiss_v03.F program. I end up with wrfem_00to12Z_d01 and wrfem_12to24Z_d01. I am a bit confused after this. I compiled the conv_emiss and have a convert_emiss.exe file in my chem directory. Once I run this though, I get errors of:

Namelist dfi_control not found in namelist.input. Using registry defaults for v
ariables in dfi_control
-------------- FATAL CALLED ---------------
FATAL CALLED FROM FILE: module_dm.b LINE: 126
WRF_DM_INITIALIZE (RSL_LITE): nproc_x * nproc_y in namelist ne 1

I am not sure if I am missing a step. I appreciate the help!!!
phayes

Re: Convert_emiss

Postby jimmyc » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:43 pm

Do you have the number of processors in x and y specified?
The error suggest something is wrong with what you specified for nio_groups possibly...
The views expressed in this message do not necessarily reflect those of NOAA or the National Weather Service or the University of Oklahoma.
James Correia, Jr
jimmyc

Postby fengcy06 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:50 pm

I also have a convert_emiss problem. Please help me!
I use the global emission data with 2 domains. The files generated by prep_chem_sources were linked to test/em_real as follows:
**-g1-ab.bin ---->emissopt3_d01
**-g1-bb.bin ---->emissfire_d01
**-g1-gocartBG.bin ---->wrf_gocart_backg
**-g2-ab.bin ---->emissopt3_d02
**-g2-bb.bin ---->emissfire_d02
**-g2-gocartBG.bin ---->wrf_gocart_backg_d02

After I ran convert_emiss.exe, wrfchemi_d01 and wrfchemi_gocart_bg_d01 were created only. Why the files of wrfchemi_d02 and wrfchemi_gocart_bg_d02 were not generated? Does the files are not necessary?
Thank you for your attention!
fengcy06

Postby craig.dillabaugh » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:14 pm

Well I am replying to your post 3 1/2 years late, so hopefully you are not still sitting at your computer waiting for a reply. However I came across this post in search of an answer to a related question and thought I shoud post what I do know, in case someone with the same issue stumbles across this thread.

According to the WRF-Chem Users Guide (V3.5 - likely same for V3.6) convert_emiss.exe cannot handle generating nested domains. To achieve what you want (or should I say wanted 3 1/2 years ago) you need to run convert_emiss.exe as if each domain were the top-level (mother) domain. There is a description (if you want to call it that :? ) of how to do this on p.32 of above noted user's guide. Trying to follow that description is where I got stuck because no matter what I try I can't seem to trick convert_emiss.exe into handling my nested domain data properly.
craig.dillabaugh

Postby tomaschor » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:06 pm

The documentation is reeeally poorly written for nearly everything regarding the creating-your-own-emissions part of the deal.
Anyway, in case anybody wants, I have written a script in python that successfully creates the wrfchemi,wrffirechemi and wrfchemi_gocart input files for as many grids as necessary. Just send me a message and I'll give it to you.

Best regards,
tomaschor

Postby mkudsy » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:14 am

Dear WRF-Chem users,

I have generated three *.bin files using prep_chem_sources and linked them according to the manual, namely
test1.0.0-T-2013-07-28-000000-g1-ab.bin -> emissopt3_d01
test1.0.0-T-2013-07-28-000000-g1-bb.bin -> emissfire_d01
test1.0.0-T-2013-07-28-000000-g1-gocartBG.bin -> wrf_gocart_backg

Upon convert_emiss.exe execution I received the following message:
[mahally@nova test01]$ ./convert_emiss.exe
WRF-CHEM V3.6 EMISSIONS PREPROCESSOR
Parent domain
ids,ide,jds,jde 1 100 1 75
ims,ime,jms,jme -4 105 -4 80
ips,ipe,jps,jpe 1 100 1 75
DYNAMICS OPTION: Eulerian Mass Coordinate
alloc_space_field: domain 1 , 1260917248 bytes allocated
open file wrfinput_d01
med_initialdata_input: calling input_input
Timing for processing wrfinput file (stream 0) for domain 1: 0.04967 elapsed seconds
INPUT LandUse = "USGS"
LANDUSE TYPE = "USGS" FOUND 33 CATEGORIES 2 SEASONS WATER CATEGORY = 16 SNOW CATEGORY = 24
INITIALIZE THREE Noah LSM RELATED TABLES
LANDUSE TYPE = USGS FOUND 27 CATEGORIES
INPUT SOIL TEXTURE CLASSIFICATION = STAS
SOIL TEXTURE CLASSIFICATION = STAS FOUND 19 CATEGORIES
* PROGRAM:WRF/CHEM V3.6 MODEL
* PLEASE REPORT ANY BUGS TO WRF/CHEM HELP at *
* wrfchemhelp.gsd@noaa.gov *
past opening wrfinput_d01
START DATE 2013-07-28_00:00:00 2592000 21600
END DATE 2013-08-02_00:00:00
READ GOCART BACKGROUND DATA
At line 391 of file convert_emiss.f90 (unit = 19, file = 'wrf_gocart_backg')
Fortran runtime error: I/O past end of record on unformatted file

while in the namelist.input I set
auxinput8_interval_m = 43200, 86400, 60,
which is long enough so that gocart background data should need be updated (ie. initial time data should be enough) to run a five day simulation.
Any help?
Regards
Mahally
mkudsy

Postby keenmisty » Thu May 07, 2015 6:15 am

tomaschor wrote:The documentation is reeeally poorly written for nearly everything regarding the creating-your-own-emissions part of the deal.
Anyway, in case anybody wants, I have written a script in python that successfully creates the wrfchemi,wrffirechemi and wrfchemi_gocart input files for as many grids as necessary. Just send me a message and I'll give it to you.

Best regards,

Sir,

I've meet the same problem. Could you please give your script of creating own emissions, thanks~ :D
keenmisty

Postby akhfa » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:49 am

Is there any step by step guide to create wrfchemi? Maybe from emission data, and then to ".bin" data, and then run convert_emiss?? I can't find that guide
akhfa

Postby wrfchemuser » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:17 pm

I've been able to use ArcMap to convert the emissions into a netcdf file and it works when placed into WRF-Chem. Do I need to be concerned that it might not be mapped correctly?
wrfchemuser

Postby Elirainy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:58 pm

tomaschor wrote:The documentation is reeeally poorly written for nearly everything regarding the creating-your-own-emissions part of the deal.

Best regards,

Hi, can you please share with me your python script. I've been stuck with creating wrfchemi files using convert_emiss.

Thanks!
Elirainy

Return to Installation