da_wrfvar.exe crashes with "double free" error

Issues with running 3DVAR.

da_wrfvar.exe crashes with "double free" error

Postby zelle » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:52 am

While experimenting with WRFVAR I have successfully set up a domain configuration and all required data files. Over the last 2 days the data assimilation worked well, using NCEP observations in prepbufr format from GFS (converted to little_r, then obsproc). The domain is over Europe.

Today the data assimilation step failed while running da_wrfvar.exe:

rank 15 in job 1 neptune_47823 caused collective abort of all ranks
exit status of rank 15: killed by signal 6

Looking in the rsl.error file I see either

*** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (!prev): 0x27cfd888 ***

or

WRF NUMBER OF TILES = 1
0: DEALLOCATE: memory at 0x27cfd880 not allocated

I have tried running the executable with 32 cpu's, 4 cpu's, 1 cpu and even compiled a serial version. MPI versions (mpich) all crash with the same kind of error, the serial version just gives "segmentation fault".

I'm compiling with the PGI compiler, version 7.05, WRFDA version 3.0.1.1.

All required files seem OK - the first guess file is present and seems valid, the obsproc program gave no errors and included about 350 observations, they seem correctly written to the ob.ascii file. the background errors were not generated with the identical domain, but from a month worth of WRF forecasts for the same western European region.

Any ideas what might be wrong, before I dive into debugging the Fortran code?
zelle

Re: da_wrfvar.exe crashes with "double free" error

Postby ruiliudream » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:36 am

zelle wrote:While experimenting with WRFVAR I have successfully set up a domain configuration and all required data files. Over the last 2 days the data assimilation worked well, using NCEP observations in prepbufr format from GFS (converted to little_r, then obsproc). The domain is over Europe.

Today the data assimilation step failed while running da_wrfvar.exe:

rank 15 in job 1 neptune_47823 caused collective abort of all ranks
exit status of rank 15: killed by signal 6

Looking in the rsl.error file I see either

*** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (!prev): 0x27cfd888 ***

or

WRF NUMBER OF TILES = 1
0: DEALLOCATE: memory at 0x27cfd880 not allocated

I have tried running the executable with 32 cpu's, 4 cpu's, 1 cpu and even compiled a serial version. MPI versions (mpich) all crash with the same kind of error, the serial version just gives "segmentation fault".

I'm compiling with the PGI compiler, version 7.05, WRFDA version 3.0.1.1.

All required files seem OK - the first guess file is present and seems valid, the obsproc program gave no errors and included about 350 observations, they seem correctly written to the ob.ascii file. the background errors were not generated with the identical domain, but from a month worth of WRF forecasts for the same western European region.

Any ideas what might be wrong, before I dive into debugging the Fortran code?

hi,guy!
I encountered a similar problem.When I do wrfvar.exe crashes with''*** glibc detected *** free(): invalid next size (fast): 0x000000001d2b49a0 ***'' All reguired files seem OK.I just would like to ask you how to solve this problem if you have solved it. Please replay as soon as possible.My e-mail address is ruiliudream@yeah.net
thanks!
ruiliudream

Re: da_wrfvar.exe crashes with "double free" error

Postby leicheng » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:47 am

i have encountered both of the problem.
when i run 4dvar with da_wrfvar.exe , i encountered :
*** glibc detected *** ./da_wrfvar.exe: free(): invalid next size (normal): 0x27a21290 ***

and when i run 3dvar with da_wrfvar.exe , i encountered:
*** glibc detected *** ./da_wrfvar.exe: double free or corruption (!prev): 0x27f5eac8 ***

all the test use the same data from obsproc.

any idea?
leicheng

Return to Runtime Problems