wrfout file as the input data of WPS

Dataset specific topics involving WPS.

wrfout file as the input data of WPS

Postby kyu99 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:01 am

Hello,
I wish to use wrfout file as the input data of WPS.
Does any one know the method to convert wrfout file to intermediate format through ungrib.exe?
I should be grateful if the person is willing to tell me this method (i.e setting of namelist.wps, etc.).
Thanks
Namkyu
kyu99

Re: wrfout file as the input data of WPS

Postby dbh409 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:37 pm

Namkyu,

I don't think there is a simple way to do this for WPS. However, what you can do is a 1-way nested simulation, which uses the wrfout files from a larger domain to provide boundary conditions for the smaller domain. You don't necessarily have to run them at the same time, though I'm not very familiar with the process involved in running them separately. The documentation is available at
http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/OnLineTutorial/CASES/NestRuns/ndown.htm

Dave
dbh409

Postby dcvz » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:26 am

You can set the output from your wrf run to be in grib format (io_form_history=5). Then run ungrib with Vtable.ARW.

If you can't re-run wrf you can convert the wrfout netcdf files to grib format using grads, although I haven't done that.
dcvz

Postby pingtong » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:06 am

Variables of grib files output by "io_form_history=5" are at eta levels(level type=119), while variables in Vtable.ARW are defined at sigma levels (level type=107). So, ungrib can not do for the grib files using Vtable.ARW. See anoth discussion problem getting grib output WRF.
pingtong

Postby eder.vendrasco » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:47 am

Hi kyu99, could you solve your problem? I also need to use the wrf output as input for wps, so if you or someone could help me I'd really apreciate it.

Thanks,
Éder.
eder.vendrasco

Postby julien1188 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:37 am

Hello,

I run a coarse grid with NMM. I would like to add a nest grid but not in the same time. This operation is possible with ARW (see: http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/OnLineTutor ... /ndown.htm ). How can I do this in NMM (if it is possible...)?

Thanks
julien1188

Postby cross » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:26 pm

Does anyone found out if is it possible to use wrfout file as the input data of WPS?
cross

Postby toshio » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:40 am

take a look at Vtable.ARWp.UPP and Vtable.ARW.UPP. These tables enable you to use the UPP output as input to ungrib.
toshio

Return to Working with Various Datasets