Global WRF and SST update problems

Having problems running the WRF Preprocessing Sysmte (WPS)?

Global WRF and SST update problems

Postby Naty » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:30 am

Hi everyone,
I am trying to run the global version of WRF with an update of SST (time-varying SST). The problem is that in a global run the manual of WRF suggest that running the WPS as usual but only for one time period. This is because the domain covers the entire globe, lateral boundary conditions are no longer needed. But in this case (with update of SST) are necessary the boundary conditions for SST, the problem is that also need the 3-D atmospheric data. But in a global run also the full 3-D atmospheric data are only really needed at the initial time.
Are there additional settings in the WRF that allow me to run the global version of WRF with only 3-D atmospheric data as initial conditions, and as boundary conditions only SST?
Thanks in advance!
Best regards,

Natalia
Puerto Madryn
Argentina
Naty

Re: Global WRF and SST update problems

Postby willisonwx » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:02 pm

I just figured this out and thought I'd post a reply to your old but unanswered question.

One solution is to add "constants_name = './FILE:2000-01-01_00'" to the metgrid section of your namelist.wps, while keeping fg_name = 'SST'. This makes it reuse the 3-D atmospheric data, but update SSTs. It would save space if metgrid didn't *need* atmospheric data for every timestep. oh well.

Then just update SSTs as you would in a regional domain.
willisonwx

Return to Runtime Problems