SWDOWN

Any problems/questions that might not fall into the other topics in this category.

SWDOWN

Postby Clarisse » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:41 am

Hi,
I'm a recent WRF user and still a newbie... My goal is to define the potencial of solar resource (for energy porpuses) for a given area.
Can someone confirm me that SWDOWN is the proper variable to use for this?
Is there any document recomended for me to search the deffinition of this variable, such as wavelength interval in which it is calculated?

Thanks in advance

Clarisse Magarreiro
Clarisse

Re: SWDOWN

Postby jimmyc » Sun May 01, 2011 11:53 am

I don't know too much about what you are doing, but if you want a good answer I would start with the code. In the phys directory you can look at the individual radiation schemes and the radiation driver.

I don't know if you desire instantaneous values or accumulated (or average) values.

Most schemes have comments which point to the articles which more clearly (hopefully) state what assumptions are made and outline the general technique of the computations.
The views expressed in this message do not necessarily reflect those of NOAA or the National Weather Service or the University of Oklahoma.
James Correia, Jr
jimmyc

Re: SWDOWN

Postby ekimalab » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:31 pm

I'm also a WRF newbie, and I'm using grads for post-processing. When you open a file in grads and make a query (q file),

swdown 1 0 DOWNWARD SHORT WAVE FLUX AT GROUND SURFACE (W m-2)
ekimalab

Return to Miscellaneous