Idealized (Edited Quarter SS) Wind Drift

Anything related to the idealized simulations in WRF.

Idealized (Edited Quarter SS) Wind Drift

Postby srdfrn » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:40 pm

Hi all,

I am trying to run a set of idealized simulations using the 3D quarter supercell case framework. However, I just want a very simplified environment. So, I have removed the thermal perturbation and trajectory from the module initialization (commenting out the trajectory and setting RAD = 2.), have added a pointer to the LANDUSE.TBL file and am running things over a water surface, and have a static Coriolis force of 1e-4 (pert_coriolis turned on). Most physics in the namelist are turned off for right now. I have a neutral boundary layer and am forcing with a purely zonal wind profile (however, my initial conditions have northwesterly winds). Additionally, I am looking at a nested domain that has boundary conditions interpolated down from its parent. The parent has open radiative boundary conditions.

I am seeing some strange results. Over the course of about a day, the winds shift from northwesterly to southwesterly and then back again. Is anyone out there familiar with this particular idealized case, and knows if I am missing anything in my edits of the module physics? Or, has anyone seen something like this before in their simulations and know what causes it?

Thanks so much!
srdfrn

Return to Idealized Simulations