changing e_vert per nest

Discuss the nesting capability within the model itself and any problems you might have run into.

changing e_vert per nest

Postby FuNkDaDdy » Wed May 04, 2011 8:08 pm

Hi guys,
I'm trying to achieve the following setup:

nests 1, 2 & 3 using the general model then nest 4 using the LES model. I've configured the namelist such that p_top_requested is 5000 and e_vert for all nests is 28. My understanding of this is that the 28 levels are interpolated linearly in pressure to the top of 5000. This is fine for the first 3 domains but for the LES domain we're really only interested in low altitudes around and below the pbl. The namelist documentation says e_vert should be the same for all nests but allows you to specify it none the less... I guess we'd still like 28 levels of interpolation for the 4th domain but with a p_top_requested at the pbl rather than way up at 5000. Is this possible?

Cheers,
Adam
FuNkDaDdy

Re: changing e_vert per nest

Postby herbert12345 » Wed May 11, 2011 9:11 am

This is not possible using the online nesting functionality. I suppose the way to go in your case would be to do a simulation for domains 1-3 and then use their output together with ndown. I have never tried this though. Of course this means you are doing one way nesting and updating boundary conditions only when you have model output.
herbert12345

Return to Nesting